Why brown rice?
Arabic pilaf with lentils and raisins
preparation time: 10 minutes of work + 40 minutes cooking
What do you need for 2 people?
3/4 cup brown rice
1/4 cup green lentils
1 large onion, cut into strips
handful of raisins
4 teaspoons pumpkin seeds
3 cup cold water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 tsp chili
5 fennel seeds (optional)
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
1. Fry onion in hot olive oil, when it’s golden add little olive oil and spices. Mix everything thoroughly, stir-fry for about 1 minute.
2. Add rice, lentils and pumpkin seeds – roast them together with onion for about 3-4 minutes.
3. After this time, add water, close the lid and boil for 40 minutes.
4. 10 minutes before end of cooking add raisins.
5. Turn down the fire, keep the lid on for about 10 minutes. Serve afterwards.