Few years ago Julia – a friend of mine shared recipe for Nigerian Banana Bread. It is one of the easiest cakes you will ever make that doesn’t even require mixer. You just combine all ingredients and stir. The loaf is very moist, rich in banana and nutty flavors.
The original recipe mentions only raisins and walnuts, however you can easily replace it with dates and any other kind of nuts.
Nigerian Banana Bread (13x27cm)
preparation time: 15 mins + 1h 15min
1 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of buttermilk
1/2 cup of sunflower oil
2 ripe bananas
1 tsp baking soda
bunch of raisins or chopped dried dates
bunch of walnuts or almonds
- Heat the oven to 180 C.
- Slice bananas, place them in a bowl and mash with fork.
- Add flour, sugar, baking soda and mix.
- Stir in buttermilk, eggs and sunflower oil.
- Add dates, nuts and mix well.
- Place your dough in baking form (13×27) and bake for 1h 15 min.
*** You can spread some peanut butter on the top and sprinkle almonds.