Mutabbal is a Middle Eastern dish usually made of roasted eggplant. Syria and Lebanon – well known for the best food in the region – developed also a beetroot mutabbal. It is frequently prepared with baked beetroots, however I prefer boiling them as it cuts preparation time twice.
3 large beetroots, washed but unpeeled (about 0,5 kg)
3 tbsp tahini (sesame paste)
6 tbsp Greek yogurt
3 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp lemon juice
- Boil unpeeled beetroots until tender. For about 30-40 mins.
- Peel them off, rinse and grate finely.
- Add lemon juice, yogurt, crashed garlic, tahini and salt.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Drizzle with olive oil before serving.