Super easy to prepare this rich and creamy pie is a great dish if you are hosting a dinner for few friends. You can prepare it ahead and serve cold.
I used almond crust just to give it an additional twist. You can always choose to prepare wheat pie crust from this recipe.
Spinach, Zucchini and Halloumi Pie (serves 5)
300 ml almond flour (1 1/2 cup)
50 ml sesame seeds (1/4 cup)
1 tbs flax seed, ground
1/2 tsp salt
40 g butter
1 cup (250 ml) heavy whipping cream or sour cream
100 g halloumi, grated
Spinach, zucchini filling
200 g fresh spinach
1 zucchini, peels
1 clove of garlic
pinch of nutmeg
50 g halloumi, sliced
butter for frying
- Preheat the oven to 180 C
- Mix almond flour, sesame seeds, flax seed, butter and egg in a bowl and form a dough. Line your baking pan with some baking paper, press the dough into a form and prick holes with a fork.
- Pre-bake pie shell for 10-15 minutes.
- Whisk together eggs and whipping cream. Add pepper.
- Chop spinach coarsely. Peel zucchini and finely chop the garlic. Saute the garlic in butter, add spinach and saute some more. Season with nutmeg and pepper.
- Mix saute spinach, zucchini and grated halloumi into egg batter and pour over pie shell. Top with halloumi slices. Bake at 180 C 30-40 minutes.
This recipe is mainly based on this recipe.